Friday, May 11, 2007

Potato, Puh-tah-to Friday Five


Reverend Mother says, "There are two types of people in the world, morning people and night owls. Or Red Sox fans and Yankees fans. Or boxers and briefs. Or people who divide the world into two types of people and those who don't. Let your preferences be known here. And if you're feeling verbose, defend your choices!

Ah, a nice easy Friday Five. I promise I will blog something of import one of these days. On with the questions.

1. Mac? (woo-hoo!) or PC? (boo!) Why yes, the Friday Five author reserves the right to editorialize!
I have a PC, but I do know that usually, once a Mac user, always a Mac user.

2. Pizza: Chicago style luscious hearty goodness, or New York floppy and flaccid?
I like all kinds of Pizza. Kris and Daryl know all the good pizza spots in Minneapolis! I like something maybe inbetween the two extremes. Nice thick crust, but gotta have flavor--the yeastier the better. I like Pizza Hut more than Dominoes, and I like our local "Village Pizza" place. Their crust is on the thin side, but they make up for it with yummy sauce.

3. Brownies/fudge containing nuts:
a) Good. I like the variation in texture.
b) An abomination unto the Lord. The nuts take up valuable chocolate space.
[or a response of your choosing]
Brownies with or without nuts are fine with me. The chocolate is the thing. No dry brownies, thank you. And our family has a brownie recipie that beats any plain brownie ever made, IMO. Simple but fabulous. Want the formula? Okay. Here it is. I recommend you do not use generic brands. It does make a difference, so stick with Nabisco, Nestles, etc.
Gold Rush Brownies

2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
1 6 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts, if you prefer)
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

Mix cracker crumbs, chips and nuts, then blend in Eagle Brand milk. Spoon into greased 8 x 8
inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until browned on top. Cool for 10 minutes. Turn out from pan. Cut into squares and dust with powdered (confectioners) sugar.

I always double the recipie and bake in a 9 x 13 pan.
4. Do you hang your toilet paper so that the "tail" hangs flush with the wall, or over the top of the roll like normal people do?
Over the top, of course. When one purchases TP with cute pictures or prints, is the print on the bottom side? Noo! That makes it obvious to the most casual observer that the PROPER way to hang the roll is over the top.

5. Toothpaste: Do you squeeze the tube wantonly in the middle, or squeeze from the bottom and flatten as you go just like the tube instructs?
I squeeze it wherever I feel like. Instructions? Who reads instructions? I am a rebel, you know. All my friends think I am a completely compliant, obedient, keeper-of-rules. Ha! What do they know? I'm a secret rebel. This proves it!

Bonus: Share your favorite either/or -- "Television or computer"?
Computer, computer, and computer.

6 comments:

LutheranChik said...

That brownie recipe is making me salivate! And I'm with you on the toothpaste.

Terri said...

Ok, all day I've been saying that I need to make brownies...now I really do! You rebel you, look what you started, a brownie making craze...

semfem said...

BROWNIE! SEMFEM WANT BROWNIE!

(Oh, and thanks for the comment on mine!)

Jeni said...

Boy, you better go read Debo Blue's post today at http://a-blue-state-of-mind.blogspot.com/ for her take on squeezing the toothpaste tube! LOL
But computer or tv - oh my! Terrible choice for one who can't function unless the tv is droning in the background and is also completely lost, heartsick you could say, when I can't get on the computer! LOL

Anonymous said...

Since you can have TV on the computer (if you so desired), your choice makes perfect sense :)

Deb said...

My 11 year old just copied down the recipe after I read it out loud...

She's the brownie chef in the house ;)

d