Monday, December 10, 2007

Time

Questing Parson said this today, in a post which is part of his daily Advent offerings:

"As I’ve grown in ministry and in living, I’ve come to realize that folks do feel themselves free to do all the things they’d truly like to do."

If this is true, and I think it probably is, I should just stop wondering why people do not do certain things that I feel are very important, often telling me that they just can't find the time. The truth is, we will do what we truly want to do.

People do not attend church because they do not want to. That also applies to work days, prayer meetings, fellowship, Bible studies....People find time for what they truly want to do. No amount of preaching, prayer, pleading, or persuasion will make a difference for long without a change in what we value most.

Think about this. Or not.

Is it just me, or do you find this a bit frightening?

2 comments:

chartreuseova said...

On the flip side, if we value our faith, our community, our family we can strive to be just as steadfast in those commitments and not be swayed by things in the media, groups at odds with our values, etc.

I do believe preaching, prayer can make a difference. The Holy Spirit will take care of pleading and persuasion. But the goal must be a change in values, not just increasing attendance.

So I don't find it frightening. but I find it sad our values as Christians often look no different than those who do not profess to follow Christ and the values of Christianity.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

That was well put. Thanks.