Sunday, June 22, 2008

Into the Water


Into the Water

Down he fell, trusting, falling backward
into the tank, immersed by the waves
down into the cleansing waters
of the baptismal pool
telling the people
this was his
way, his
choice
being
saved
He rose
out into the
congregation
joining family
newfound church
His place of belonging
Where he can drink the word
heed the call to service to action
to change in his life, be born anew
Reclaimed by the sustainer, redeemer
the living God, creator of all, savior of all

by Raymond A. Foss

6 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

kind of reminds me of George Herbert's poem 'Easter Wings.' He was an anglican priest and poet of about John Donne's era.

thanks for sharing.

Terra said...

Hi Singing Owl,
I see we are transplants in reverse, as I am from Wisconsin and live in California, and you have moved from CA to WI.
You commented on my blog that you may begin serious writing; if you have any writing for publication questions, ask me, and if I can, I will answer. My first book, about Christmas, will be published in Sept. and I write for scads of magazines.
Is your blog on CWO (Christian Women Online)? That is a nice place to list it.

much2ponder said...

I hope your upcoming baptisms are as meaningful as mine was. Just thinking about the day you baptized me. Makes we wish I could do it all over again, though I know that is not necessary. I do realize however, it is valuable and important for me to recommit my life to Christ every so often.

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Poetry Where You Live said...

Thank you for this posting and for the comments. All of my 2,713 poems are at Poetry Where You Live, www.raymondafoss.blogspot.com

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Wow, Ray, that's a lot! I will stop by soon. I loved this poem.