Monday, August 11, 2008

August Wildflowers

This time of year reminds us of how people manage to put up with Wisconsin winters. August has been beautiful so far with mild days of mostly low humidity and cool nights. The corn that did not get washed out in the spring rain is tall and tasseling. The farmers who did get flooded out planted soybeans, one of the lovliest crops in the country. A close look at this field will reveal corn stalks sticking up in the soybean plants. Well, I guess not every corn stalk was killed by over watering!
If you look closely between the tree branches you will see the doe and fawn in the meadow.
We decided to try to get some seed pods from the abundance of wildflowers that are lining our roadsides and blooming in ditches. Queen Anne's Lace (I love the stuff) is everywhere, and alongside are purple and yellow blossoms I can't identify.
When we came home we tossed seeds down the hill towards our little creek. We will see if any grew when next summer comes around.




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

LoieJ said...

I loved seeing all the wildflowers in the ditches along Lake Shore Road (L. Michigan) when I was in Wisconsin last month. For some reason, the ditches aren't like that back here at my home. I love queen Anne's lace; I learned about it in "Hika" as a child. Hika is the place I go to when I am in your area. It is a subsection of the little city where I stay.

Anyway, do you ever look for the tiny red thing in the middle of some of the Queen Anne's Lace?

I know corn, but when it comes to the other crops, I'm dumb as a plumb, which wasn't any help when I was a school teacher in a farming area.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Dumb as a plum? LOL! Soybean plants are green and glossy in summer and in fall they turn the most beautiful yellow, then gold, then orange, then brown. I never noticed a red thing in the center of Queen Anne's Lace, but I will look. This year there are enormous solid banks of it in some places...and as you noted the ditches are full of flowers!

Mavis said...

These look fantastic. I remember being blown away by the wildflowers when we visited Yosemite a few years back. And they are fantastic in Australia as well. So delicate and stunning colours.