Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Advent Week One: Hope Day Three

Luke 2: 25-32
At that time there was a man in Jerusalem named Simeon. He was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Consolation of Israel, the Messiah, to come and rescue them The Holy Spirit was upon him and had revealed to him that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying: “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.”


All we know about the life of Simeon is found here. He was righteous and devout, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. However, that alone would not have been enough to merit being included in scripture. Simeon is mentioned because of his faith, but also because of who he was waiting for. Simeon was watching for the Child to be born who would be called “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace” (Is 9:6b). He had evidently waited a long time.

I do not like to wait. When we wait it seems we are accomplishing nothing. However, Jesus said that when he returns He will be looking for the servant who is watching for His return. I know of only one way to watch for someone. It is through waiting.

When I arrive at an airport I am glad when I see that whoever is supposed to pick me up is already there watching for me. I would never say, “Why were you wasting your time waiting around for me to show up?” Instead, I would thank them for waiting for me. God blessed Simeon’s faithful wait by allowing him to see the Messiah with his own eyes.

Simeon was waiting for the consolation of Israel. Are we? The Holy Spirit had promised this man that he would see the appearance of the Christ. Has the Holy Spirit promised something to you? Will you wait in expectation, in confident hope, for the promise to be revealed? God keeps His promises.

Prayer: Father God, Help me to wait patiently. That is sometimes a very hard thing to do! Help me to know, really know, that you will do what you have said you will do. I wait for you in hope, and I will not stop watching for you. Amen

3 comments:

Rev Kim said...

Beautiful reflection. I hate waiting, too!

Love your blog header!

Jan said...

Waiting is hard. That's the lesson for Advent. . . .

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Thanks, Kim. I'll be changing it each week. Jan, it seems the story of my life is a wait. I wonder if everyone feels that way or if it is just me!?