Saturday, January 03, 2009

Week Five ~ Seek ~ Day Seven

Our final devotion in our OASIS series for Advent, Christmas and beyond is from Kris. We hope you have enjoyed our little devotions and that God has blessed you during this season. We wish you many blessings in the NEW YEAR!

2 Chronicles 7:13-15
At times I might shut up the heavens so that no rain falls, or command grasshoppers to devour your crops, or send plagues among you. Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. My eyes will be open and my ears attentive to every prayer made in this place.


What does it mean to seek? The dictionary says :
1. to go in search or quest of: to seek the truth
2. to try to find or discover by searching or questioning: to seek the solution to a problem.
3. to try to obtain: to seek fame
4. To try or attempt: to seek to convince someone

We are told over and over again in the Bible to seek God, but do we really understand what it means to seek? If we are truly seeking something, we are searching with our whole heart and being.

Have you ever watched a show about serious treasure seekers? They spend every effort to find the treasure they believe is out there. They spend years searching the ocean floor leaving no stone unturned. Some never see the fruits of their labor, but they don’t stop. No matter what other’s believe or say, they believe that there is a treasure waiting for them.

This is how we should seek God’s direction in our lives. If you are troubled by the world around you, pray. If you are concerned about the direction that society is going, pray. Fall on your knees and SEEK God’s will, purpose and direction for you. Then follow his leading even if you don’t know where the end will be.

God says in the verses above that his eyes and ears are attentive to every prayer. Every prayer! God is never turning a deaf ear to you. God is listening and waiting for you to speak.

Challenge: Spend this week “seeking” God’s word for you. Read the Bible every day. Perhaps read commentaries to help explain the scripture. Then pray for direction and take time to listen for the answer.

2 comments:

much2ponder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
much2ponder said...

That deleted comment was me...I made a mistake and didn't catch it till after I posted.

Today in my devotions I was taken to scripture after scripture on how the Lord is my guide and he protects and leads me all the days of my life. I pray for my own willingness to follow his guiding and not go off course as often happens when my circumstances become my guide. Blessings Kris:)