Thursday, April 02, 2009

Catching Up on a Couple of Awards

It's been a strange few weeks, but I am finally going to post two awards that I received last month. They are sort of related because both of them require me to divulge info about--who else?--ME.

The first one is from my real-life buddy, Much 2 Ponder over at In Case You Were Wondering, and it is called The Honest Scrap Award. I am supposed to list out 10 honest things about myself and then forward this award to at least 7 other blogs that I find brilliant in content and or design. My award recipients can then do the same if they so choose, and they can add the award to their blog by copying the award graphic and then pasting it.

Ten Honest Things about SingingOwl

1. If I had it to do over again, I'd get more education.

2. I am very sorry that I never learned to play the piano. Perhaps I will after I retire. I think I might have composed some things if I had the "know-how."

3. Like Much2Ponder, I have always wanted to fill the gas tank and hit the road with no preconceived idea of where I would end up. The idea of just going is very appealing. I love to discover new places, vistas, history, and so on.

4. It is difficult to realize that I am aging...one of these days it will catch up with me. I always felt I had limited energy and time. I am deeply aware, these days, that such is not the case. Too much loss lately to remain in denial, perhaps?

5. I am a shy person. The public speaker version of me is quite different than the social me, but both are genuine facets of who God made me to be.

6. I am afraid that I will never really discover what I want to do when I grow up. You think I am kidding? Well, maybe a little, but then again, not totally. I do not want to come to the end of my life and feel that I have missed something important God had for me to do.

7. I have ugly feet. Bunions, icky toenails and other issues combine to make my feet happy that they are usually enclosed in shoes.

8. I hate winter. I love December snow, but other than that I wouldn't care if I never had to live through another Wisconsin winter.

9. Sometimes I am too quiet. Sometimes I talk too much. I do not know why this is the case.

10. My husband is the love of my life. Sometimes, I think he wonders. But I do not know how I would manage without him, and I know that I would not be who I am or where I am if I had married someone else.

The second one is from Auntie Knickers over at Exile's Return. It is the "Fabulous Blog Award" and here is the idea:

"You must pass it on to 5 other Fabulous Bloggers in a post. You must include the person who gave you the award, and link back to them. You must list 5 of your Fabulous Addictions in the post. You must copy and paste these rules in the post. Right click the Award icon and save it to your computer, then post with your own awards."

First I will share why Auntie Knickers gave me the award in the first place. She said, "The Owl's Song taught me that people of faith and goodwill and eminently good sense come in all denominations -- even ones I've tended to think of almost as "the enemy." That is a wonderful compliment. I don't have space to tell you why, but it is!

Okay, on to my fab addictions (???) --though I don't how interesting they will be:

1. Like Auntie Knickers, one of mine is books. A person cannot have too many, can they? If I had my dream house, it would include a library.

2. Music. I cannot imagine life without it. I own lots of CDs, and some cassettes, and even a good number of vinyl LPs that I can't bear to part with. The music ranges from classical to folk to hymns, to rock, to blues, to jazz, to contemporary praise and worship, to...oh, you get the idea.

3. Cheese. I live in Wisconsin where butter and cheese are sort of a separate food group. That is probably one reason Wisconsinites tend to be overly rounded.

4. The Internet. I am astonished at how easy it is to spend two hours in front of a monitor because it feels like 20 minutes. I really do have to be careful of this.

5. Well, assuming I had money and space, I would have numerous sets of dinnerware. I love table settings! I just do not have the means to indulge this particular addiction.

Okay, I hope the roof does not cave in, nor lightning strike me dead, nor my hair fall out...BUT...I am cheating. Everyone in my blogroll is a fabulous blogger! I am combining listing fabulous bloggers with listing honest ones.

Hmmmm...well, one of the most honest bloggers I know is Much 2 Ponder, but she already got the award. Okay, on to the picks--and once again I am cheating and only picking six since one says pick five and one says pick seven. And besides, I have to leave soon.

1. Presbyterian Gal
This woman is hilarious, a gifted writer, and also honest about her struggles. I wish I could meet her in person, and the fact that she lives in Southern California is not the reason. It doesn't hurt, but it isn't the reason. She gets both awards!

2. Amy Maxwell is next. She blogs at Gentle Whisper. Amy is a fellow Assemblies of God blogger, and she is heading towards being a military chaplain. Go read her story, which you will find linked in her sidebar. I met her last year, and I wish I could hang out in person with her sometimes! Even if I am old enough to be her mom. She gets the Honest award.
3. Tim, the director of a homeless shelter, formerly blogged at a different blog, which he has left to begin a new blog Caught a Glimpse of Jesus Down by the Railroad Tracks. The first blog was anonymous, so sometimes grittily (is that a word) honest. Nonetheless, pay a visit to the new blog. A book is in progress. This is a remarkable man. He gets the Honest award too.

4. Next is Bits and Odd Pieces of Mindy's Kingdom. Mindy is a Fabulous Blogger. She is so many things that I am NOT. Check her out for giggles, crafty ideas, more crafty ideas, occasional food ideas...and more. Oh, don't forger the pantipalooza!

5. Last but never least is another Honest award. It goes to Lorna at See Through Faith. Even the name lets you know this is an honest woman. In addition to her transparency she is articulate, faithful, a constant learner. I admire Lorna very much, and I wish I were more like her.
Oops. That was only five. Are you still reading? Go outside and soak up some sun!

3 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I appreciate this so much Owl. Seriously.

Thank you

Lori said...

I am honored to receive this from you. Thank you! You and I have #'s 1 and 2 of the first one in common!

lorna (see throughfaith) said...

Singing Owl there are bits of me that you really wouldn't want to be like. Trust me on that.

But thank you for the award. What you wrote hit home. I want to be more Christ-like and in some small way blogging helps me in that as I journey towards the heart of God.

blessings xx

PS # 1 books - that's me; and I wish I'd learnt to play a musical instrument (and that I could sing too). :)