Friday, November 26, 2010

Pie-ola Friday Five

Songbird shares a fun post-Thanksgiving Day Friday Five:

Please answer these five questions about pie:

1) Are pies an important part of a holiday meal?
We had pear, pecan, chocolate and pumpkin pies, and only seven people at the table (one of whom is only three). Absolutely essential at Thanksgiving and Christmas! So essential that yesterday Kris and I were discussing the merits of a pie crust made with shortening or oil with a crust made from lard. (Lard!) Lard really does make a better, lighter, flakier crust. Good thing we don't eat pie all the time!

2) Men prefer pie; women prefer cake. Discuss.
Ken (my spouse) and Kevin (my bro-in law who lives here) weighed in on this one. Ken prefers pie. Kevin prefers cake. (But that didn't stop him from having multiple helpings of pie yesterday. I like cake...but I don't know as I prefer it. Like comparing apples and oranges or coffee and tea. Hard to say. Well...maybe if I could only eat one for the rest of my life...cake.

3) Cherries--do they belong in a pie?
If it is a cherry pie.

4) Meringue--if you have to choose, is it best on lemon or chocolate?
I'm not a meringue lover, but lemon would be my choice. Our son, who didn't make it home for Thanksgiving this year, has already requested that his sis make one for Christmas, however. So I guess it's lemon meringue for Christmas this year.

5) In a chicken pie, what are the most compatible vegetables? Anything you don't like to find in a chicken pie?
I love chicken pie! Carrots, onions, peas, celery and corn if you want to use it up. I make one that isn't in a crust but is topped with biscuits. Yum! Turkey pie is good too, and beef pie. KFC's chicken pot pie is delicious on a cold day, but I probably don't want to know how many calories it contains. The crust is fabulous!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your pie ratio sounds very similar to ours, though we unintentionally had three pumpkin pies. It will be no trouble to finish them off, with two young men still in the house for the weekend.

Jan said...

I am amazed at the numerous pies RevGals had this Thanksgiving! I never thought of putting celery into a chicken pot pie. Maybe I'll try that.

Jeni said...

Here's the stats from my family. Our Thanksgiving dinner -which was held on Saturday due to conflicts with both my daughters' work schedules -consisted of 5 adults, 1 thirteen-year-old male and two small children (age 7 and 4 1/2), the latter two who have a lot of food issues, especially the youngest one. (Who had a plate full of tiny helpings of items he would "normally" ingest but yesterday, he decided he would have none of what was given to him and spent roughly the hour of our mealtime howling loudly enough I'm sure the neighbors thought he was being beaten within an inch of his life.
Although cake is a big hit most of the time with my family, pies are definitely usually an even bigger hit! I baked five pies -1 each of cherry, apple and mincemeat and 2 pumpkin. (I'm usually the only one, sometimes my son though, who will eat the mincemeat and I can't figure out why it's not all the popular either!

But, chicken, beef or turkey pot pie -any of those would get an overwhelming vote of approval from my family -the whole bunch, except of course, for the two picky little ones who haven't a clue as to what a delicious entree they are missing!

And if anyone wants a great recipe for pie crust -very, very flaky -feel free to drop me a note and I'll gladly share it. (Secret (? ha ha) ingredients in it -1 egg, lightly beaten with a tablespoon of vinegar and water to make 1 cup of liquid!)