Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Five: All About Cars!

Maybe it's just me, but I often remember how long ago someting occured or something about it by recalling the car we had at the time. For today's Friday Five, tell us about the cars in your life. Maybe we can even tempt some of the guys of the ring to join us. Specifically, tell us about:

1. The earliest recollection you have of a family car
This makes me feel old to recall, but then again, I guess I am getting there. We had a 1944 Nash Rambler. It was, of course, black. It had a cord across the back of the front seat to pull yourself forward to exit the car, a floorboard as big as a house, and was more comfortable than our couch at home. It looked a little like this one.


2. The first car you drove when you could (legally) get behind the wheel yourself.
I learned to drive in a car that was another '40s model, a big old tank of a Pontiac. I was embarrassed to be seen in it, but my dad probably figured it was safe to get in the car with me--I mean it was SOLID. In fact, I knocked down a STOP sign and left nary a scratch on the car.

3. A memorable road trip
Road trips were special times. Our family was not particularly a happy one, but when we took trips it seemed to bring out the best in all of us. My parents enjoyed the drive, we listened to stations from "strange" places like Indiana, we ate lemon drops, my two sisters and I played card games like Old Maid and Authors in the back seat. We watched the sun rise over the California desert....I could go on and on. Still love a road trip.

4. The car you drive now. Love it? Hate it?
Here is a link about my current vehicle. You could say my Uncle Sam gave it to me.

5. An interesting story that involves you and a vehicle.
Well, there was the time I finally had my first (and the only one of my life) new car. I loved it. I had a long commute and needed something small and economical. It was a 1995 Dodge Neon. Strawberry colored. It was a great little car, only going to the junk yard after reading 3000,000 miles. But about a week after purchase I was driving in the country and without warning....screeeee.....thump....dead stop. The transmission had literally fallen off the car and was sitting in the middle of the road. After being towed back to town, they replaced the transmission and all was well for a very long time.

Bonus: What's your idea of good car music? Depends on the day, the purpose of the drive, and who I am with. Sometimes it is classical music or jazz, or whatever CD I happen to have. But if I'm all alone and it's a bit of a road trip that is designed for fun it is impossible to beat something like Creedence Clearwater Revival, and it must be cranked. Ken can't be with me. He makes me turn the music down. Here's a sample.

4 comments:

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

LuVing this Singing Owl!
sooo yes to CCR ! me too ")
and cranked! you'll like what's at FHC for sure ")
and the road trips ~ always a fave!
thx much for the FuN F5 ..

Jan said...

Great F5! It was much more fun than I anticipated. Great memories.

David Maack said...

1. My dad always worked for car dealerships so he always had a brand new car. First car i remember was my mothers. It was a brand new Ford Mavorick which my dad had painted racing stripes on and put a spoiler on the back. It had black vinyl seats which werent fun in the summer and we never wore seatbelts. My dad would often swap cars with customers when they needed servicing. When i was in high school i worked at the county golf course. The first morning my dad took in a black mercedes sedan. The golfers were impressed. The next day it was a lincoln contenental~the last big one but on the 3rd morning my dad was tsking in an old beat up car in need of a muffler. They thought we lost everything (lol). Best car songs-driving down a dark road at night with either in the air tonight or segers turn the page cranked up!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Turn the page...such an eerie song in a odd way. Your description of dad's cares made me lol. :-D