Friday, February 24, 2012

Lenten Prayer # 3: To Break Through Pride & Complacency

These people come near to me with their mouths and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.  Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men.  Therefore, once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish.  Isaiah 29:13-14

Come to me...Take my yoke upon you and learn from me. for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  Matthew 11: 28-29

God, we have become proficient in religious performance.  We can say all the correct words, but sometimes we still leave our hearts far behind.  Have we have practiced our worship to  make it predictable and safe, becoming as bored as we are proud?  Where you find it, break through false religious pride.  Surprise us with Your supremacy.  Stun us with how dangerous You are!  

We have sometimes kept ourselves busy.  But for many, self-sufficiency has left exhaustion in its wake, and we are left anxious and bereft.  We give up trying to get our act together!  We come to you now, as you have summoned us.  Show us your heart and train us in humility.  Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice thought,this is an issue ‎i keep pondering about everyday, ‎​‎​‎i really need God's grace here.